ranger-users

Re: [Ranger-users] starting speed up

From: Jan Knížek
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] starting speed up
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 11:05:51 +0200

On 17.4.2016 17:14, Wojciech Siewierski wrote:
On 17.04.2016 16:38, Jan Knížek wrote:
Hi,
has anyone tackled with speed of starting?
I use it in terminal in the following way. I work in terminal emulator
and then for example just want to see some small piece of file, so
start ranger, look at it and then quit ranger. After a while I need to
change path e.g. from /home/knezi/Documents/mff/cvika to
/usr/lib/systemd/system/, so it is faster to start ranger and use it
to changing path (I have got macros for this). Only thing which slow
me down is starting of ranger. Is it possible to speed it up?
Sometimes it is really fast, sometimes really slow. I don't know why.
Thank you,
knezi

You may want to check one of my projects trying to bypass this issue in
different ways: either https://github.com/Vifon/texas,
https://github.com/Vifon/zranger and possibly
https://github.com/Vifon/deer. Specifically zranger is meant to reuse a
single ranger instance so there is no startup so it should fit your
needs. Sadly all 3 depend on zsh (texas has a partial Bash support
though) so it won't work everywhere.

Sorry for this self-promotion.

Thank you for the links. I am using bash, so I would need to completely switch to ZSH. Maybe I will give it a try.