ranger-users

Re: [Ranger-users] starting ranger?

From: Ludo Beckers
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] starting ranger?
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 22:11:36 +0100

Yes, that was the case, thanks!

I tried ranger a year or two ago and found it too difficult for my limited CLI- and Linux-knowledge.
I finally found the courage to try again, so I hope you don't mind the occasional noob question and likewise mistake :-)

BTW I also found this in the FAQ online:
map X shell mkdir -p ~/.trash; mv -bv %s ~/.trash/

Which to use is simply a matter of preference I suppose?

On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 9:55 PM, Roman Z. <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 01, 2013 at 09:33:55PM +0100, Ludo Beckers wrote:
> First thing I'm trying to do is cover myself; I can't be trusted with a
> delete key that is permanent :-)
> I put this
> "map DD shell mv -t /home/myname/.config/ranger/Trash %s"
> in  ~/config/ranger/rc.conf
> but it doesn't seem to work.
>
> Typing the first "D" brings up a line saying that "D" will do the command
> (not "DD"), but neither D nor DD works.
> Is the "shell" maybe what I have to adapt? For terminal I'm in KDE's
> konsole.

I suspect that the target directory doesn't exist.

By the way, it always helps to get a detailed description of the error.
"it doesn't work" can mean anything, so look for error messages
anywhere.  If you run "ranger --debug", you get extra error messages
sometimes.  If you run stuff in the shell - like you did - ranger will
hide all the error messages, but you can see them after you quit ranger.
For example, I see this when using your keybinding, pressing DD and
quitting ranger:

mv: accessing ‘/home/hut/.config/ranger/Trash’: No such file or directory

So, does it work after you create that directory?

Roman

--
Ludo