qvm86-devel

Re: [qvm86-devel] Effect of upcoming harware support on Qemu

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [qvm86-devel] Effect of upcoming harware support on Qemu
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 17:33:33 +0100

On Sunday 01 May 2005 23:33, M. Khalid Khan wrote:
> What will be the effect of upcoming virtualization enhancements in
> intel/amd hardware ? Will there still be a need for dynamic translation ?
> As I understand from media reports, the new hardware will allow even the
> privilaged instructions to be virtualized. Will it result in a relatively
> thin software layer to provide full virtualization?

It should allow all guest code to be virtualized, making dynamic translation
redundant for native guests.

I'm not sure if it's worth extending qvm86 to use this technology. It may be
better to extend something like Xen to run guest operating systems
unmodified.

The advantage of a qemu based solution is that you already have all the
hardware device emulation written. The disadvantage is that that overhead may
be higher than a pure virtualization based solution.

The best solution may be to design a common interface so that multipele
emulators/virtualization programs can share hardware emulation code..

Paul