qvm86-devel

Re: [qvm86-devel] QVM86 tests on Windows XP Host

From: Filip Navara
Subject: Re: [qvm86-devel] QVM86 tests on Windows XP Host
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 18:12:56 +0200

CoMiKe wrote:

Hello all qvm86 developers and users!

I'm very impressed with the work done on this project to get an
open-source alternative to KQEmu accelerator.

I'm a Windows user, and I would like to get it working a little better
in this OS. I've made some test with various guest OS and would like
to inform you about the results obtained.
At first I would like to thank you for testing...

Firstly, my system is an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2000 Mhz), 768 Mb
DDR333, Windows XP SP1 installed under a FAT32 filesystem.

I've download QEmu and QVM86 from CVS, following the steps pointed on
the QVM86 README file. No problems found neither compiling QEmu and
QVM86 under MinGW32 with the following command-lines:

patch -p0 <qvm86/patch.qvm86
./configure --target-list=i386-softmmu --static
make
Can you please tell me which compiler version have you used (output of "gcc -v" and "ld --version")?

QVM86 started correctly by launching 'net start qvm86', after
importing the reg file. So let's start with the tests done (assigning
al guest OS 256 Mb RAM size):

- Slax 5.0.1 (Kernel 2.6.11-6): Stops booting after "Freeing unused
kernel memory: 220k freed. QEMU responding on console screen
(Ctrl+Alt+2).

- Slax KillBil (Kernel 2.4.??): Stops booting after "Freeing unused
kernel memory: 220k freed. QEMU responding on console screen
(Ctrl+Alt+2).

Both systems started with "clock=pit", and in both of them, the
following step, as tested on QEmu without accelerator, would be

- Windows NT 4.0 (Build 1381: SP5): Host computer reboots two seconds
after showing the blue screen that contains system information (NT
build, amount of RAM, number of processors, etc).

- Windows 98 SE: Host computer reboots while loading Windows. Then,
doing the same test with a step by step boot, it starts win.com, then
ask if I want to load all Windows controllers. I answer No, then host
reboots some seconds later, without asking about the loading of any
controllers.
I'll try these systems myself sometimes soon...I know pretty much nothing works ATM and there seems to be some problem with delivering page faults (they look just fine in QVM86 traces, but in the OS and user-mode QEMU part I'm getting page faults at address 0x52 and 0)...

In any case the host system shouldn't crash and that's something I consider as a real problem. Would it be possible for you to mail me privately the contents of your C:\WINDOWS\Minidump folder (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263/?sd=RMVP&fr=1 for details)?

Can you suggest any other test I can do to help on the development? I
know a little C coding, but this is a very advanced topic to my few
knowledge.

Is there any chance to fix some of this issues? At the moment, I
haven't been able to boot any OS using QEmu+QVM86. Perhaps all
problems come from the same source (maybe a problem with a common
instruction).

No more info at the moment.

Best Regards.
Mike (Míguel).