qvm86-devel

Re: [qvm86-devel] Reboot using 2.6

From: bqf
Subject: Re: [qvm86-devel] Reboot using 2.6
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 20:22:17 +0200

Sorry it took me so long to try this patch, as I said I couldn't afford
any reboots.
Trying to boot KNOPPIX with the patch applied results in exactly what
Jens describes, so it didn't really help. I'd love to give you more info
on this, but obviously it's quite hard to do any debugging / memory
statfiles with the computer rebooting as soon as it reaches that point
in the booting process :)

This problem occurs with KNOPPIX 3.4 + 3.7 and only if you try running
the 2.6 kernel. I also noticed qemu 0.6.1 and the current cvs version
(without qvm86) can't properly boot 3.4 with a 2.6 kernel either, the
guest kernel segfaults while (or after) trying to load metaraid.o, then
probes some more modules and dies (which may or may not be totally
unrelated to the cold reset with qvm86 as when booting with qvm86
enabled it never even gets as far as mounting the root fs). Booting 3.7
with a 2.6 kernel works fine with 0.6.1 or cvs with qvm86 disabled.