quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] Potential quilt bug?

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Potential quilt bug?
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 14:49:09 +0200

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 02:43:40 -0500, Marty E. Plummer wrote:
> Very interesting, perhaps it should still be adjusted to only use
> ../patches if ../.pc exists? Just a thought, and may save folks from
> confusion on this subject in the future.

I'm afraid it would cause even more confusion, as the .pc directory is
an implementation detail users should not have to care about. Creating
a patches directory is the documented way to define the project's root.
From "quilt new -h":

  (...) Create a patches directory in the intended root
  directory if quilt chooses a top-level directory that is too high up
  in the directory tree.

So the only change I would consider as a proper fix to the current
situation would be a new command named "init" or "setroot", which would
explicitly create the patches and .pc directories in the current
working directory.

--
Jean Delvare
SUSE L3 Support