qexo-general

Re: [Qexo-general] Strange special character problem

From: Per Bothner
Subject: Re: [Qexo-general] Strange special character problem
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 00:07:53 -0800

Markus Skistad wrote:
However, I've allready stumbled upon yet another problem with my xquery program which I'm pretty sure can be traced back to a Kawa/Qexo memory leak. After running a pretty simple xquery around 10-20 times, tomcat throws me a java.lang.outofmemory error. I've tried it on two separate systems, both giving me the same error. Even after upping the memory limit for tomcat. Listed below is the xquery.

You didn't say how big the content.xml file is, nor how you're deploying it.
And a memory leak can be all kinds of places.

The only thing I can think out is in gnu.kawa.xml.Document.parseCached.
It maintains a cache of parsed XML documents, as required by the XQuery
specification. However, the cache is local to the "current environment",
and typically there is a separate "current environment " for each thread.
So if each query ends up being executed in a different thread, and none
of the threads ends up being collected, that might be a problem.  Now
why that would happen, I don't know.  But trying to instrument the
parseCached, and the allocation/finalization of Environments may be a
way to track the problem down.
--
        --Per Bothner
address@hidden   http://per.bothner.com/