qexo-general

Re: [Qexo-general] Xquery newbie questions

From: Per Bothner
Subject: Re: [Qexo-general] Xquery newbie questions
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 11:16:46 -0700

address@hidden wrote:

First of all, I'm just trying to type in some of the examples from the
"What is XQuery?" document, and some of them don't seem to work. I don't
know if it's because of typos in the tutorial, or something I'm doing
wrong. For example, in the "Sequences" section, when I type in the
following line:

let $a := 3,4

I get the following error message:

xquery[1]: let $a := 3,4
<stdin>:1:14: missin $NAME after ','

Oops - that should have been:

let $a := (3,4)

I've updated it.

Some of the other examples don't seem to work, either, and in some cases
even cause an exception to be thrown, even though I type them in exactly as
shown in the tutorial.

Could you tell me which ones, so I can fix it?

You may be using an older version of Qexo.  Best is to try the latest
CVS version, but kawa-1.7beta2 should be close.  (I'm hoping to
release a 1.7 release candidate today.)

I'm also trying to run some of the examples in "Early Adopter XQuery" by
Cagle et al, but without much luck. I realize that some features may not be
implemented in Qexo yet, but nothing seems to work.

Note that that book uses upper case keywords, as in
  FOR $book IN ... RETURN ...
That is no longer allowed - you have to use lower-case keywords:
  for $book in ... return ...

Is the book out of date already?

Yes.

Can someone suggest any other books on XQuery? There doesn't seem
to be much available yet.

I've co-writing "XQuery Kick Start" with various people (including
Cagle), but it hasn't been published yet, and we're still revising
it for the latest draft specification.  Soon, hopefully ...
--
        --Per Bothner
address@hidden   http://per.bothner.com/