qexo-general

[Qexo-general] query parameters

From: Per Bothner
Subject: [Qexo-general] query parameters
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 11:22:10 -0700

I might try to squeeze in support for 'define variable' before
I release 1.7.  But I'm wondering how to handle "external"
parameters, and perhaps people with xslt experience can help.

Xalan uses '-PARAM name expression' and xsltproc uses
'--param name value' or '--stringparam name value'.
But what if a parameter is qualified?  Do they only
handle parameters is the empty namespace?  Does anybody
support/care about about parameters with a non-empty
namespace prefix?

I was thinking:
  --param name literal-value
and
  ---eparam name expression
The literal-value would be used as a string literal,
or a number if the parameter has a numeric type.
Thus:
  --param name foo
is the same as:
  --eparam name '"foo"'
(since the shell strips off one set of quotes).
Is that reasonable?

Also, I say in Kay's XLST book (1st ed) a mention of
web servers passing http parameters to XSLT scripts,
without specifics.  But I can certainly hack XQuery
to initialize a parameter using request-parameter.
Any comments/experience/gotchas I should be aware of?

No promises as to whether this will make it in 1.7, of course!
Basically, it's only likely to make it if I can implement
it in less than a day.
--
        --Per Bothner
address@hidden   http://per.bothner.com/