qemu-trivial

Re: [Qemu-trivial] [Qemu-devel] Fix build break during configuration on

From: Chad Joan
Subject: Re: [Qemu-trivial] [Qemu-devel] Fix build break during configuration on musl-libc based Linux systems.
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 11:54:31 -0500

Wow, that is some quick turn-around.  Well done!

My thoughts:

Note that I'm bothering to stick around and provide feedback, despite other pressing life obligations.  Providing advice on submit-a-patch usability for QEMU isn't on my schedule, but I don't have the heart to bail on this, especially when you all are kindly listening, having high quality discussion, and sincerely trying to improve things.  If you read between the lines, you see the truth: I am a yak shaver!

Oh man, when I hit a topic like "use git send-email", the hair started flying: learning new git commands, two-factor auth on gmail, U2F keys, governance for the no-mans-land of a server, and so on, a real yak-shaving party.  After an hour or two, my safety triggered, and I thought, "man, I am spending way too much time perfecting this workflow that I might never do again" and I spent a few minutes writing a message in gmail.  I certainly don't expect QEMU devs to fix garbled patches either: that also seems like a huge waste of valuable time (and for talented and passionate individuals, too).  There has to be a better way!  So I hope the whitelist idea helps, or maybe it's enough to just call awareness to this potential improvement.

Well, that ended up being very long.  I hope this is helpful and doesn't spend too much of your time.

Thanks for listening!

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 10:34 AM, Eric Blake <address@hidden> wrote:
On 02/17/2017 03:28 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 17 February 2017 at 06:43, Fam Zheng <address@hidden> wrote:
>> But your point is taken, we should make the first (or a one-shot)
>> contribution as easy as possible.
>
> Yes; we could do with providing a "This page seems very long..."
> introduction section. The absolute bare minimum requirements
> for a submitter I think are:
>  * Provide a Signed-off-by: line (this is a hard requirement
>    because it's how you say "I'm legally OK to contribute this
>    and am happy for it to go into QEMU")
>  * send patch by email
>  * read replies and act on them if you want your patch to go in
>
> The larger your contribution is, the more important the other
> requirements detailed on the page are; but personally I'm
> happy to manually fix up patches from a first-time submitter,
> and I think most other maintainers are too.

I've updated the wiki to put in that nice bullet list, prior to the
table of contents.

--
Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266