qemu-stable

[Qemu-stable] Qemu stable releases

From: Justin M. Forbes
Subject: [Qemu-stable] Qemu stable releases
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 14:08:03 -0600

The stable tree for 1.0 has now been created and the mailing list
exists. I am curious as to people's thoughts on how we should proceed.
There was discussion of setting up a predictable time table for stable
releases, say monthly or bimonthly, though that seems a bit difficult
from past experience.  Typically I get a flurry of patches shortly after
a release (and they have already started for 1.0).  I have tried to get
a .1 release out in a timely manner, and then it seems patches for
stable become few and far between.  In the 0.14 and 0.15 series, not
even enough to warrant a .2 release.  Perhaps this is due to lack fixed
issues, or lack of effort to submit to stable.  What I would like to
recommend is the following:

1) On the 15th of every month, the stable queue will be evaluated for
release.
2) If enough patches exist (or critical enough patches exist), a stable
release will be cut as soon as testing/push/mirror can be done.  If
there are no patches, or not enough patches to warrant a release, they
will be held over until the next release.
3) Security fixes do not follow this schedule, and will trigger a stable
release as needed.

Questions, comments, concernes? How do people feel about this?

Justin