Re: [Qemu-ppc] MorphOS benchmark results

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] MorphOS benchmark results
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 18:47:29 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

On Wed, 18 Jul 2018, luigi burdo wrote:
The Sam 460 dont work in kvm on PowerMac Hardware because the Sam is a Book3e
Hardware and not book3s...
yes this is a strange thing because the book3s is  perfect compatible in cpu
instruction set with the book3e.
for example i can perfect run the P5040 (e5500 book3e) ubuntu mate installation
on ssd on my G5 Quad (970MP book3s) and vice versa.

I know next to nothing about this but I thought at least KVM PR should be possible but maybe some fixes are needed. Book3e vs. Book3s is probably not the problem but maybe some instructions specific to PPC440 needs to be emulated in KVM. I think at some point PPC440 worked with KVM but maybe only on PPC440 host was tested and the 460EX may have some differences from the 440 core that was in QEMU before. If someone can test it and report problems we have a chance to try to fix it, otherwise I don't know what would be needed. (Even if it's not a QEMU but a KVM problem.) So far I haven't seen any logs showing the problem so I'm in the dark.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan