Re: [Qemu-ppc] QEMU PowerPC 464 User Mode Support

From: David Gibson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] QEMU PowerPC 464 User Mode Support
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 14:22:51 +1000

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 12:10:38AM +0000, Sanjiv Doshi (sandoshi) wrote:
> Folks

> We are looking for qemu user mode emulation support for PowerPC 464
> core.

> Has anyone done any work for this core? What is the nearest PowerPC
> core that is currently supported in user mode that closely resembles
> 464. We have tried 440GX but does not solve all use cases.

A quick look at the code suggests 460 and 460F CPUs are defined, which
are probably the closest to what you want.  However, I don't know how
complete it is.  I don't know that anyone is active working on any
kind of 44x or 46x emulation, unfortunately.

Since you're only looking at user mode emulation, the number of
changes should be relatively small (the big differences between
powerpc cores are at the supervisor / mmu level).

If you're willing, I think the way forward would be to try using the
460 CPU, see what instructions aren't working and fix or add them as
you find them.  Unfortunately, I can't really estimate of how big a
job that will be.

Also be aware that if you did that, you'd probably end up as ppc 46x
maintainer by default..

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson