Re: [Qemu-ppc] [RFC] pseries: Enable in-kernel H_LOGICAL_CI_{LOAD, STORE

From: David Gibson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] [RFC] pseries: Enable in-kernel H_LOGICAL_CI_{LOAD, STORE} implementations
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 11:37:18 +1100

On Fri, 06 Feb 2015 08:56:32 +0100
Alexander Graf <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 06.02.15 03:54, David Gibson wrote:

> > [snip]

> >> So at least with vhost-net the in-kernel trapping is optional. If we
> >> happen to get MMIO into QEMU, we'll just handle it there.
> >>
> >> Enlighten me why the iothread stuff can't handle it that way too.
> >
> > So, as I understand it, it could, but it doesn't.  Working out how to
> > fix it properly requires better understanding of the dataplane code
> > than I currently possess,
> >
> > So, using virtio-blk as the example case.  Normally the queue notify
> > mmio will get routed by the general virtio code to
> > virtio_blk_handle_output().
> >
> > In the case of dataplane, that just calls
> > virtio_blk_data_plane_start().  So the first time we get a vq notify,
> > the dataplane is started.  That sets up the host notifier
> > (VirtioBusClass::set_host_notifier -> virtio_pci_set_host_notifier ->
> > virtio_pci_set_host_notifier_internal -> memory_region_add_eventfd()
> > -> memory_region_transaction_commit() ->
> > address_space_update_ioeventfds - >address_space_add_del_ioeventfds ->
> > kvm_mem_ioeventfd_add -> kvm_set_ioeventfd_mmio -> KVM_IOEVENTFD
> > ioctl)
> >
> > From this point on further calls to virtio_blk_handle_output() are
> > IIUC a "can't happen", because vq notifies should go to the eventfd
> > instead, where they will kick the iothread.
> >
> > So, with SLOF, the first request is ok - it hits
> > virtio_blk_handle_output() which starts the iothread which goes on to
> > process the request.
> >
> > On the second request, however, we get back into
> > virtio_blk_data_plane_start() which sees the iothread is already
> > running and aborts.  I think it is assuming that this must be the
> > result of a race with another vcpu starting the dataplane, and so
> > assumes the racing thread will have woken the dataplane which will
> > then handle this vcpu's request as well.
> >
> > In our case, however, the IO hcalls go through to
> > virtio_blk_handle_output() when the dataplane already going, and
> > become no-ops without waking it up again to handle the new request.
> >
> > Enlightened enough yet?
>
> So reading this, it sounds like we could just add logic in the virtio
> dataplane code that allows for a graceful fallback to QEMU based MMIO by
> triggering the eventfd itself in the MMIO handler. When going via this
> slow path, we should of course emit a warning (once) to the user ;).
>
> Stefan, what do you think?

So, as I understand it this should be possible.  I did even have a
draft which did this.  However, I don't know the dataplane well enough
to know what gotchas there might be in terms of races, and therefore
how to do this quite right.

Note that this doesn't remove the need for the in-kernel H_LOGICAL_CI_*
hcalls, because those will still be necessary if we get real in-kernel
emulated devices in future.

--
David Gibson <address@hidden>
Senior Software Engineer, Virtualization, Red Hat