Re: [Qemu-ppc] Specific use of lfs for loading int leads to wrong value

From: Tom Musta
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] Specific use of lfs for loading int leads to wrong value in f register
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 15:29:38 -0500

On 9/12/2014 2:19 PM, Pierre Mallard wrote:
> So the clear goal of lfs and fcfid is to convert an int32 to a float. While
> the documentation of Xilinx
> (http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/apu_fpu_virtex5.pdf)
>  is quite explicit on how they shall act in single precision mode,
> (mode which is defined by hardware design configuration), the test leads to 0
> also on their platform (maybe the low 32 bit of your result).

Aahhh .... so skimming the document, I see that this FPU supports a single
precision option or mode in which the floating point registers are only 32 bits
wide.  And the fcfid instruction is really an fcfiw.  In this light, I now
understand the instruction
sequence for the cast.

But this is very different from the standard Power ISA, which is what QEMU
implements.