[Qemu-ppc] Open Firmware for qemu-system-ppc -M prep

From: Artyom Tarasenko
Subject: [Qemu-ppc] Open Firmware for qemu-system-ppc -M prep
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 18:01:40 +0200

Hello PPC PReP community and digital archaeologists,

I'm glad to announce the result of some weekends of work: a new
firmware which is not just open, but is also powerful (it runs on
Power CPUs), free (the individual files are licensed under MIT and BSD
licenses) and of course legendary - it's based on the original PReP
Open Firmware from Mitch Bradley's FirmWorks company:

http://tyom.blogspot.de/2014/09/open-firmware-for-qemu-system-ppc-m-prep.html

Some ideas for improvement:

- although this version of OFW does support QEMU's -vga std and -vga
cirrus adapters, I think switching the default adapter to cirrus would
make sense: it is quite likely that old guests would be more happy
with Cirrus (at least, NetBSD 4.0 is)

- maybe it would also make sense to move some PCI peripherials instead
of ISA. Or did a PPC machine with an isa ide and an isa network card
really exist?

Feedback is appreciated. In particular it would be nice to know if
there are guests which can boot under OHW, but not under OFW.

Artyom
--
Regards,
Artyom Tarasenko