Re: [Qemu-ppc] Running FreeBSD-ppc/ppc64 on emulators?

From: Joe Nosay
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] Running FreeBSD-ppc/ppc64 on emulators?
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 13:38:20 -0400

On Friday, July 25, 2014, Garrett Cooper <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Jul 25, 2014, at 4:35, Mark Cave-Ayland <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On 23/07/14 00:24, Joe Nosay wrote:
>>
>> On Tuesday, July 22, 2014, Garrett Cooper <address@hidden
>> <_javascript_:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','address@hidden');>> wrote:
>>
>>    Hi all,
>>         I tried getting FreeBSD-ppc/-ppc64 to run on qemu recently with
>>    the 9/10/11 release media and I ran into boot issues (or probably user
>>    error in booting up qemu with the images) -- the image would hang
>>    right around mountroot.
>>         I was wondering if anyone has a working recipe for how I would
>>    start up qemu with powerpc, or if there was an alternative piece of
>>    software available for emulating powerpc that could be used in general
>>    purpose automation?
>>    Thank you :)!
>>    -Garrett
>>

>> You need to send these types of queries to the qemu-ppc lists. On the
>> qemu-ppc list, please check the original email and forward the answers
>> to Mr Cooper.
>
> Hi Garrett,
>
> I'm not strictly a PPC developer, however I do spend a lot of time developing and testing OpenBIOS for SPARC and as part of this tend to test various PPC images to ensure that no regressions are introduced.
>
> As you noted FreeBSD-ppc gets fairly far these days; I can imagine that you're either seeing an issue with properties on PCI devices or possibly a bug in machine emulation. Can you share the command line you are using to launch QEMU?
>
> While I don't have the ability to look at this myself, I suspect anyone with a debug PPC kernel setup would be able to find the issue fairly easily. I tend to be around on the qemu-ppc list so if anyone is interested enough to participate, please start a thread there and I'll pick it up there.

Hi Mark,
    Nathan Whitehorn from FreeBSD replied to me earlier on this week and provided some hints for getting qemu working with ppc64. I'll try booting FreeBSD again this weekend with qemu to see whether or not his hints work. If I run into any issues I'll be sure to email the list :).
Thanks!
-Garrett
Thanks,  for helping out Mr Cooper.