Re: [Qemu-ppc] Help getting started

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] Help getting started
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 00:24:15 +0200

On 28.05.14 23:03, Nathan Beasley wrote:
I am trying to get QEMU running using the mpc8544ds machine type and I am completely new to QEMU. I've been trying for the last couple days and looking through old mailing lists and forums and just not making any progress.
I was able to downloaded/build Qemu 2.0 without issues.
I was able to get the powerpc running off of Aurelien's debian images without an issues.
(qemu-system-ppc -hda debian_squeeze_powerpc_standard.qcow2 -nographic)
I've spent the last day trying to get this or the Freescale BSP images running using these and some other variations. When I do these I get no output. (qemu-system-ppc -M mpc8544ds -hda debian_squeeze_powerpc_standard.qcow2 -nographic)
(qemu-system-ppc -M mpc8544ds -kernel uImage -nographic)
I have tried running them with -

with -?

In QEMU 2.0 for the -M mpc8544ds target, you always need to specify -kernel, otherwise the VM doesn't have any initial code to execute.

My goal here is to just get started and have an image up and running so when I start trying to build an image from source I know I have a working environment. Any suggestions on where to go from here to get a basic image running or source for a sample image to get off the ground?

The disk image is fine, you just need a working kernel. Feel free to grab one of my known good ones at

  http://csgraf.de/tmp/ppc/uImage.e500mc
  http://csgraf.de/tmp/ppc/uImage.e500v2

The default CPU type for mpc8544ds is e500v2, so you'll want that kernel here.

Alex