Re: [Qemu-ppc] MorphOS 4.x on QEMU

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] MorphOS 4.x on QEMU
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 01:01:22 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 13 Mar 2014, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
4. Overwriting exception vectors without disabling MMU first (can be
corrected

What's the actual problem here? Is it that the exception vectors are being copied to an area of memory that is write-protected by the MMU?

No, as far as I understand. I've described what's my understanding here:
http://www.openfirmware.info/pipermail/openbios/2014-March/008185.html
It seems that it works on real hardware because either the MMU bits are disabled in the MSR there while they are enabled with OpenBIOS or they are enabled but this sequence of actions do not generate an exception there while it does on QEMU. I don't know enough about PPC to tell.

5. Failures during page table creation (don't know yet how to correct)

These are the alerts discussed in the previous message. I can make them go away by removing the pci cards (VGA and serial used to get debug output so it leaves only macio) but this does not solve the crash resulting from this. Will need to debug this more.

6. Exception after ABox is started (may be related to 5. or something else)

And this is still happening after the above but I have to force it to get to here so it can be related to the previous.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan