Re: [Qemu-ppc] MorphOS 4.x on QEMU

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] MorphOS 4.x on QEMU
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 22:41:39 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014, Alexander Graf wrote:
I'm fairly sure most people don't particularly have a good idea what's
going wrong for you :).

That's OK, I expect not many people are interested in this but I wasn't sure that anyone actually reads these mails. My questions were not about MorphOS but about QEMU, openbios and PPC Macs so maybe people knowing these could help even if they don't know MorphOS.

zeroing the 0x80 address causes an exception problem.

That's probably a NULL pointer exception. Your bootloader is trying to
find something, doesn't find it, returns NULL, something else takes the
return value as granted and accesses that pointer + 0x80.

I don't think so. The code I've quoted in my first message is all that runs up to this assignment from 0x400000 which is the base, start address of the boot loader. Before that everything that runs is part of openbios. Besides, as far as I can read ppc assembly I don't see where it could try to get a return address in this code:

0x00400058:  li      r22,0
0x0040005c:  li      r9,128
0x00400060:  mr      r26,r5
0x00400064:  mr      r25,r6
0x00400068:  stw     r22,0(r9)

which looks like a direct assignment to 0x80 to me. What am I missing? Could it be that on real hardware the boot loader is run with a different PID so the memory is not overlapping the interrupt vectors or on a Mac this address is not part of the interrupt vectors? First of all why does the bootloder try to set this address to zero? It makes no sense to me. Is there anything mapped there on a PPC Mac?

So far PCI passthrough has only been done on IBM POWER (-M pseries) and
Freescale e500  (-M ppce500) systems. I doubt MorphOS runs on either of
them.

AFAIK, it does not. Apart from some PPC Macs it supports a few boards some of them with some Freescale parts but I need to check how similar is that to what QEMU already has. I'm starting to think that targeting these may be an easier route now because on the Mac it only supports some specific Radeon cards while on other boards some more may work too.

Plus PCI passthrough is pretty hard to get right with TCG - so
this is something I don't think anyone attempted so far.

If you like to give it a go though, try to make something slightly more
simple work first though :). VGA adapters are hell.

I did not mean to share a video card with the host but to have a second card dedicated to the guest of course. But it seems to be too big undertaking for me if noone else has tried that before. (And I'd need to dig up a compatible card first to try it.)

There's a web page somewhere with lots of device tree dumps from systems
all over the place. I don't have the link right now, but I'm sure Google
knows more :).

I've tried to find that but so far I only could find ioregs dumps from Intel Macs. I'll keep trying to locate that page then.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan