Re: [Qemu-ppc] Qemu for PowerPC e500v2 on x86

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] Qemu for PowerPC e500v2 on x86
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 17:56:29 +0200

On 07.10.2013, at 17:50, yon ar c'hall <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Did somebody ever have some success in running a target PowerPC e500v2 on x86
> with Qemu ?
>
> We tried this simple command on Debian Sid - Siduction 2013.1, but it failed
> (please note that a qemu window was successfully launched when specifying the
> cpu mpc603 instead) :
>
> # qemu-system-ppc--version
> QEMU emulator version 1.6.0 (Debian 1.6.0+dfsg-1), Copyright (c), 2003-2008
> Fabrice Bellard
>
> # qemu-system-ppc -cpu e500v2
> qemu: hardware error: Bus model not supported on OldWorld Mac machine

The default mache model for qemu-system-ppc is g3beige. You can't plug an e500
core into a Mac based system. Instead, you want to run a different machine
type, like ppce500 or mpc8544ds by defining it through -M.

These machine models don't support running firmware yet, so you have to
manually specify your Linux kernel on the command line with -kernel. You
usually also don't find graphics on these SoCs, so I'd recommend to run QEMU in
serial port output mode using -nographic. That gives you a command line like
this:

  $ qemu-system-ppc -M ppce500 -nographic -kernel uImage

The ppce500 machine already defaults to e500v2, so no need to specify it on the
command line. Please make sure to enable support for the QEMU machine in your
guest kernel config to enable support for the ppce500 machine
(CONFIG_PPC_QEMU_E500).

Alex