Re: [Qemu-ppc] ppc + u-boot on qemu in ubuntu 11.10 x86

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] ppc + u-boot on qemu in ubuntu 11.10 x86
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 13:40:22 +0100

On 26.12.2011, at 15:45, Érico Porto wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Has anyone succeed on using qemu-system-ppc to run u-boot? I need to do some
> u-boot development. I want to run a u-boot I build using the mpc832xemds
> config. I heard it was impossible to do this in a x86 environment, is it
> true? I'm geeting some errors when I try qemu-system-ppc using u-boot as bios.

You will run into a bunch of issues here:

  1) Running u-boot as is doesn't work, because we don't emulate all
instructions properly (most notably cache lockings)
  2) The CPU you're looking at - e300c4 - isn't emulated
  3) The SoC you're looking at - mpc832x - isn't emulated

So if you were to implement emulation for the above 3, you might be able to run
u-boot for mpc832x inside of QEMU. As it is today, it won't work.

Alex