Re: [Qemu-discuss] How do I redirect console IO for script use?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] How do I redirect console IO for script use?
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2019 15:06:35 +0000

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 at 14:40, Alexei Colin <address@hidden> wrote:

> > If you're running Linux in the target, configure to run a getty on that
> > serial port, with /etc/inittab or with systemd address@hidden
>
> I should add that if you want Linux kernel log to go to a serial
> port, you have to arrange that through the kernel boot argument
> (how else will the kernel know to do it?), like
>     console=ttyS0,115200n8 earlycon=ttyS0,115200n8 loglevel=8
> where ttyS0 name and the baudrate arguments will depend on the emulated
> UART hardware model.
>
> I mostly do this on ARM targets, so if there's something special about
> serial ports on x86 targets somebody here will probably speak up.

I think the major awkwardness for x86 compared to arm is that the
BIOS expects to be outputting to the screen. I think that QEMU's
bios can be made to use a serial console, but I'm not sure how to
do it.

I definitely agree that the cleanest way to do this is to set
up both the BIOS and the guest to use a serial console and then
redirect that serial port to wherever you want.

thanks