Re: [Qemu-discuss] Port-forwarding to a QEMU/KVM VM

From: Jaap Winius
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Port-forwarding to a QEMU/KVM VM
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2018 12:40:13 +0000

Quoting Jakob Bohm <address@hidden>:

Check the following:
If you have a spare machine with two ethernet ports, configure
it to bridge the two ports with brctl and run wireshark on that,
then "splice" it into the connection between your machine and the
physical switch, then again between the physical switch and the
gateway.  Look if the packets are dropped on one side of the
physical switch or the other. ...

I first tried sniffing on the gateway-side of the switch, but just saw the same thing. Then I did it on the server-side... and there saw that the reply packets were making it out of the bridge! After that I discovered the root cause of the problem: the default gateway on the VM was still pointing to the wrong address. That was why the internal tests were working, but not the external one. So, problem solved.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Jaap