[Qemu-discuss] Best networking mode when using Wi-Fi

From: user 96710
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Best networking mode when using Wi-Fi
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2018 13:00:06 +0200

Here's what I want to do: use Qemu on my Windows host while on Wi-Fi.

Currently, I can only use SLIRP with Wi-Fi, but since it's quite slow I
would like to know what other options do I have.

When the PC uses Ethernet, I can bridge the TAP and the Ethernet, however a
Wireless connection cannot be bridged: https://superuser.com/a/658143. I've
seen solutions for Linux that manage to use TAP with Wi-Fi, but I don't
know how to replicate the same in Windows. For example,
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-987790-start-0.html

The Qemu guide mentions these other networking modes besides SLIRP and TAP:
bridge, l2tpv3, vde, netmap, vhost-user, socket, hubport.

I don't know how they work. Could one of these be used to provide Internet
to the guest when I'm on Wi-Fi?

Another option is figuring out if programs like WinGate or OpenVPN would be
able to provide the TAP with Internet.

Can anyone offer some insight?

Regards.