[Qemu-discuss] SunOS 4.1.4 on Qemu 2.10.0 on Mac OS X 10.12.6 on mid 201

From: Will Senn
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] SunOS 4.1.4 on Qemu 2.10.0 on Mac OS X 10.12.6 on mid 2012 Intel MBP w/16GB RAM
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2017 18:20:21 -0500

Hi,

I heard on the TUHs mailing list that it was possible to emulate sparc on qemu and further that you could run SunOS. So, I did the following:

brew install qemu - which got qemu on my mac

rounded up the sunos 4.1.4 install media and the sparcstation 5 version 2.15 boot prom

and then followed the directions (and a bunch of variations) at https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/QEMU/SunOS_4.1.4

When I got to the post-install reboot, the VM booted up to the point where it was starting network services and then reported a bunch of, "rpc.lockd: Cannot contact status monitor!" and hung. I thought maybe it was environmental, but I got the same errors on Linux Mint 18 with qemu 1.7, 2.0, and 2.14 as well as on FreeBSD with qemu 2.8.1, so I'm asking for help.

First question - is there a better/more up-to-date guide than what's on the wiki (I googled but didn't find anything better)?

Second question - any idea why the error is happening or how to make it stop (google returned a bunch of Sun notes saying stop and restart rpc, but this isn't really helpful as it happens during boot and it hangs without letting me make any changes)?

Third question - has anyone heard of this working on modern hardware and software configurations (the Wiki article is pretty old and the few videos I saw on youtube were Crunchbang - circa Ubuntu 8?

Any substantive help appreciated.

Thanks,

Will

--
GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462  7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF