[Qemu-discuss] vfio pass through only works once after reboot

From: Karsten Elfenbein
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] vfio pass through only works once after reboot
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 22:00:58 +0200

Hi,

I'm trying to get my GF460 to work in a VM. Currently the card only
works once after a reboot. On a second try there is no card bios
showing up and no signal to the monitor.

I start the VM with the following commands:

sudo chown myuser /dev/vfio/14
qemu-system-x86_64 \
 -m 4096 \
 -enable-kvm \
 -display none \
 -nographic \
 -device
vfio-pci,host=03:00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on,romfile=/home/myuser/GF104.rom
\
 -serial none \
 -vga none

I use qemu 2.4 or current git on a 4.1.5 kernel.

03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF104 [GeForce
GTX 460] (rev a1)
        Subsystem: NVIDIA Corporation GF104 [GeForce GTX 460]
        Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci
        Kernel modules: nvidia
03:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF104 High Definition Audio
Controller (rev a1)
        Subsystem: NVIDIA Corporation GF104 High Definition Audio Controller
        Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci
        Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel

06:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 [GeForce
GTX 970] (rev a1)
        Subsystem: Device 196e:1131
        Kernel driver in use: nvidia
        Kernel modules: nvidia
06:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 High Definition Audio
Controller (rev a1)
        Subsystem: Device 196e:1131
        Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
        Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel

Any hints on getting the card to work multiple times?

Thanks
Karsten