Re: [Qemu-discuss] Newbie: Running Solaris8/SPARC binaries / shared obje

From: Dennis Luehring
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Newbie: Running Solaris8/SPARC binaries / shared objects on x86-Linux Machines
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 06:44:46 +0200

Am 30.08.2014 23:18, schrieb Tony Su:
  Need some clarification,
Are you really asking how to run Solaris on x86 or the other way
around? I'm going to assume you have a Solaris application running on
SPARC hardware and you want to explore options running on Linux
instead because it doesn't make much sense to me that you would want
to continue to run on ancient hardware. Even consumer grade
contemporary hardware is probably a better economic decision than to
run on that old hardware.

"I want to replace the SPARC by a state-of-the art Linux / x86 computer"

isn't that clear enough - don't assume - read the email

So, what are your options?
Let's say your application only exists running on Solaris 8 and it
requires access to, and uses SPARC hardware.
In this case, you might consider cobbling together a SPARC environment
using QEMU emulation.QEMU should support all Sun SPARC CPUs and most
likely any SPARC I/O devices as well.

thats new to me - the SPARC part of qemu seems to be in an sometimes
very experimental state

Let's say your app only runs on Solaris 8 but does not require access
to SPARC hardware.
In this case, you can use almost any virtualization that exists
because various Solaris runs on x86 (I haven't checked whether Solaris
8 is one of them). You should be able to use KVM, VMware, VirtualBox,
Parallels, Hyper-V(I'm guessing), Xen or anything else for better
performance.

but the current system is SPARC so no x86 virtualizer can help to run its SPARC code
on x86 - or how is that possible?