Re: [Qemu-discuss] Guest network performance is painfully slow

From: Brian Rak
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Guest network performance is painfully slow
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 09:07:34 -0400

Why are you using e1000 and not virtio?  The virtio drives have significantly better performance.... Ubuntu should also have native support for them.

On 8/17/2014 10:34 PM, JHM wrote:
Salutations to all members, first off. This is my first post in the discussion group.

I searched for this topic, but not much turned up from the archive here.

Searching for "slow"
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=slow&submit=Search!&idxname=qemu-discuss&max=100&result=normal&sort=score

I would like to ask if anyone else had troubles with the network performance in the guest network. I am running qemu using ubuntu-14.04 as host. The guest is also ubuntu-14.04. In the guest OS, I have a LAMP stack properly configured. Users can reach the apache server inside via a host NATed tap interface. Anything poking the host at port 80 is passed into the private network between the guest/host. This all works well, and seems to be OK. Users can view websites and download files hosted in the guest LAMP.

Except, users are getting very limited download speeds. While the host sits on a 100Mbps symmetric up/down link, users are only able to download at 15Kbps or max 30Kbps. I used to have the same setup running natively without QEMU and user download speeds were great. Once I moved the LAMP stack into the virtual machine, this issue came up. The following is the command line used to start up the qemu vm.

qemu-system-x86_64 -hda disk1.qcow -m 1G -smp 4 -enable-kvm -netdev tap,id=tap0,ifname=tap0,script=tap-config.sh -device e1000,netdev=tap0

Call me naive here, but is this kind of network performance expected? The guest OS is unusable.

-- Julio H. Morimoto
-- address@hidden