[Qemu-discuss] Using host USB devices on a windows host

From: Ottavio Caruso
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Using host USB devices on a windows host
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 15:27:52 +0000

If I want to have a USB key available to a Netbsd guest as 'hda' in
Windows 7 host, which of the two lines is correct:

qemu.exe -hda \\.\PhysicalDriveN

or

qemu.exe host:vendor_id:product_id

It looks to me the second is only available to Linux host, isn't it?

The problem I have is that I am trying to install Netbsd on a USB key.
I've tried the first syntax and the drive is available in Netbsd as
"wd0".

At one point of the installer I can't get to partition the drive and
the system complains that there's no driver for the usb device. I
wonder if it's a Netbsd problem or it is because I should have
attached it as a usb device rather than a hard drive.

Thanks and if you can please cc me in your reply.

--
Ottavio