qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] converting build system to Meson?

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] converting build system to Meson?
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 12:19:18 +0000

On Thu, Mar 07, 2019 at 06:18:28PM +0000, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 at 18:17, Marc-André Lureau
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > As someone who has also been annoyed having to support in-tree and
> > out-of-tree, I support that move. I used to be a pretty happy use of
> > in-tree builds, but out-of-tree his generally equally convenient.
> >
> > Who is volunteering to do patches to deprecate the support? warning in
> > 4.0, and error in 4.1?
>
> Do we need to bother to deprecate it? It doesn't affect end-users,
> only those who build QEMU, and the change is easy...

Yeah, I don't think we need to deprecate it. If we get configure to
report an error straightaway it will be obviuous to developers what
they need to change to adapt.

Sufficient to just announce on the mailing list that we intend todo
it in the start of the next dev cycle. Gives developers plenty of
time to adapt, and it will be in the release notes for the next
release to alert downstream consumers.

Regards,
Daniel