qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] converting build system to Meson?

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] converting build system to Meson?
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 20:23:55 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019, Peter Maydell wrote:
On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 at 18:17, Marc-André Lureau
<address@hidden> wrote:
As someone who has also been annoyed having to support in-tree and
out-of-tree, I support that move. I used to be a pretty happy use of
in-tree builds, but out-of-tree his generally equally convenient.

Who is volunteering to do patches to deprecate the support? warning in
4.0, and error in 4.1?

Do we need to bother to deprecate it? It doesn't affect end-users,
only those who build QEMU, and the change is easy...

If you do this without warning and time for getting used to it, it would be nice to add some convenience functionality if possible to not upset people used to in-tree builds too much. That is if someone runs make in the top src dir it should create a build subdir and run make -C in there instead of just returning an error so people can still just run make as now instead of get frustrated every time until get used to use build dir. (I sometimes use build dir, sometimes in-tree build and the latter is often more convenient if I don't need multiple separate builds only one.)

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan