qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] -device ipmi-bmc-sim attached to -netdev vde

From: Robin Jarry
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] -device ipmi-bmc-sim attached to -netdev vde
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2019 17:56:44 +0100

Hi Corey,

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer!

2019-02-19, Corey Minyard:
> If you really wanted to do this, you would need to implement the IPMI
> LAN protocol inside QEMU and sit it on top of a UDP chardev.  It could
> then plug into the standard IPMI infrastructure in QEMU.  The power
> management functions are already there.
>
> The openipmi lanserv code is something you can steal from, it's at
> https://github.com/cminyard/openipmi/tree/master/lanserv
>
> My suggestion, though, would be to implement something that ran over
> TLS with two-way authentication.  It doesn't look too hard to do
> in qemu (though I haven't tried it) but you could have a qemu console
> running over TLS that would allow you control from another qemu session.
> Plus it would give you authorization and encryption on your qemu
> console logins, which is probably a good thing.
>
> <shameless-plug> I have been working on a library that makes it easy
> (easier?  The pain is always in the key management) to make TLS
> connections.  It's at https://github.com/cminyard/gensio and you
> can use it from C or Python.</shameless-plug>
> But there are many tools to accomplish this.

Ugh, I feared this would not be a walk in the park :)

This is unfortunately too much work for me at the moment. I don't like
it but I think I will have to live with vms communicating through
a SLIRP device to access the ipmi lanserv daemon.

I just need to figure out how this works, because vbmc-qemu does not cut
it for me. It does not allow fine-tuning the QEMU command line.

--
Robin