qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] did the qemu can emulate the whole system with the proc

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] did the qemu can emulate the whole system with the processor that without support the "virtulization and kvm"?
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 14:14:58 +0000

tugouxp <address@hidden> writes:

> thank you.
>
> i just want to confirm one thing,  that is whether the qemu can emulate a
> whole operation system just by analysis instructions by instructions manually
>  without the support of KVM.
> so from the answer you give to me, it is feasible, right?

Yes - if you run qemu-system-$(ARCH) you are emulating a full machine
with hardware attached. It can either use TCG or a HW based acceleration
like KVM. HW based acceleration is only available on the same machine
type.

There is a third type - qemu-$(ARCH) which is often called linux-user
mode. Here the translation engine only translates instruction from guest
to the host and then maps system calls to the host system. This is isn't
emulating a whole system but allows you to run binaries from one
architecture on another.

--
Alex Bennée