qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU and Kconfig

From: Yang Zhong
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU and Kconfig
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 19:50:23 +0800

Hello Paolo and all,

The Kconfig has been completed the porting from your repo and
now i can sucessfully build x86_64-softmmu binary. But there
are still some issues:
   1) Only support x86_64 platform.
      Other platform, especially for ARM platforms, it's hard for me to define
      detailed boards like pc or q35 in x86.

   2) Only support "defconfig".
      "randconfig" build has some issues, which are mostly related with CONFIG*
in Kconfig.host,
      some CONFIG* has different setting value in config-host.mak and
%/config-device.mak. like
      CONFIG_OPENGL=y in %/config-device.mak and CONFIG_OPENGL=n in
config-host.mak, which result
      in build failure.

The current configure and build command are almost same with before and if we
want to disable or enable
some features, like "tcg", we still need add "--enable/--disable-tcg" in
configure command line. If we want
to disable one emulation device, we can disable this in related Kconfig file in
hw/ directory.

There are still some left issues
   a) How to replace the CONFIG* in configure, Some CONFIG* need some logic to
generate,
      those are hard to input this CONFIG* in Kconfig.host or Kconfig* file.

   b) The CONFIG* in %/config-target.mak file, this is still related with
configure.

   c) If a) and b) can be fixed, randconfig is not critical issue.

I will send RFC patches to QEMU community and please all give some comments.
many thanks!

Regards,

Yang