qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qdev documentation

From: Aleksandar Markovic
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qdev documentation
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 14:44:23 +0100

On Dec 9, 2018 5:00 PM, "BALATON Zoltan" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was searching for some good summary on how to implement new devices and
machines in QEMU for those who might want to start working on it but not
much seems to be available. I've found this which seems to be useful:

> https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2011-07/msg00842.html
>
> What happened to this? Was it ever finished? It does not seem to be in
docs, only qdev-device-use.txt is there. (Maybe this qdev-for-programmers
doc could be in docs/devel.)

> Thank you,
> BALATON Zoltan

Hi, Zoltan.

I unfortunatelly can't answer your questions, but I do agree that some
writings on QEMU internals would be super-helpful. The problem is that, as
we all know, documentation often gets forgotten in our hectic pace of
development, even if it is planned to be written.

It could be that a problem is there is no a single person (at least I don't
know him/her) who would actively take care of the internal docs as a whole,
and, let's say, constantly ping other developers to improve or update their
bits and pieces.

Good that you brought this to our attention!

Aleksandar