qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-block] KVM Forum block no[td]es

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-block] KVM Forum block no[td]es
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 14:38:43 -0500

On 11/12/18 10:25 AM, Max Reitz wrote:
> On 12.11.18 00:36, Nir Soffer wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 12:25 AM Max Reitz <address@hidden
>> <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
>>
>>     This is what I’ve taken from two or three BoF-like get-togethers on
>>     blocky things.  Amendments are more than welcome, of course.

>>     Bitmaps
>>
>>     =======
>>
>>     (Got this section from sneaking into a BoF I wasn’t invited to.  Oh
>>     well.  Won’t hurt to include them here.)
>>
>>     Currently, when dirty bitmaps are loaded, all IN_USE bitmaps are just
>>     not loaded at all and completely ignored.  That isn’t correct, though,
>>     they should either still be loaded (and automatically treated and
>>     written back as fully dirty), or at least qemu-img check should
>>     “repair” them (i.e. fully dirtying them).
>>

>> I'm not sure making bitmaps dirty is better.
>>
>> When bitmap is marked IN_USE, it means that we cannot use it for
>> backup. Deleting the bitmap or making it as bad so it cannot be used
>> for the next backup is the same. Making the bitmap as dirty will full
>> the management layer that everything was fine when the next backup
>> includes the entire disk. It is better to cause the next backup to fail
>> in a verbose way, since the backup software can recover by doing
>> a full backup.
>
> But making the dirty bitmap fully dirty will automatically enforce a
> full backup.

I lean towards just deleting the bitmap in these cases but *not*
automatically.

If you do check -r, though, deleting them seems correct. This way you
don't get any nasty surprises when the cronjob goes to make an
incremental and it's accidentally 2TB and still running when you arrive
on Monday morning.