qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] insecure git submodule URLs

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] insecure git submodule URLs
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2018 14:17:39 -0500

On 7/15/18 7:56 PM, Jann Horn via Qemu-devel wrote:
On Sun, Jul 15, 2018 at 11:18 PM Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:

On 15 July 2018 at 20:50, Jann Horn via Qemu-devel
<address@hidden> wrote:
I noticed that when I build QEMU from git for the first time, it pulls
in submodules over the insecure git:// protocol - in other words, as
far as I can tell, if I'm e.g. on an open wifi network while building
QEMU for the first time, even if I cloned the main repository over
https, anyone could smuggle in malicious code as part of e.g. a
submodule's makefile.

Yes, this came up the other week.

I'm not sure what your preferred fix for this is, so I'm not sending a
patch yet. As far as I can tell, the two options are:

  - change .gitmodules to use https for everything

We should probably do this...

As far as I can tell, the QEMU git server only supports the "dumb" git
protocol when accessed over HTTPS, not the "smart" protocol. I'm not
sure whether that might be why QEMU is currently still using the
insecure git protocol instead of git over HTTPS?

This is why we haven't switched over the submodules yet, yes.
It's on Jeff's todo list for the server, though.

Did we ever get this done? (And updating this thread to pull in Jeff's new email). (Reminded of this now that there is yet another submodule being proposed for mirroring)

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266