qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] qemu arm emulation not working correctly in debian stretch

From: m.martin
Subject: [Qemu-devel] qemu arm emulation not working correctly in debian stretch
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 14:51:35 +0000

Hello everyone,

My name is Michael. I'm working for voestalpine in an embedded software project
for railways diagnostics.

Before filing a bug on Launchpad I wanted to write to this list to get a proper
judgement of our problem.

We use the gcc cross compiler for armhf architecture and qemu to execute some
of the built executables on an x86_64 host under Debian Jessie.
We would like to switch to Debian Stretch for various reasons but found the
following problem:

The qemu-arm emulation delivered by debian > jessie seems to not support the
pthread-protocol PTHREAD_PRIO_INHERIT.
A testcase is attached. The binary can be configured to use recursive mutexes
by using the -r flag, and enable the priority inheritance via -p flag. It
should not stop regardless the combination of flags.
Compile natively (amd64/i386):
gcc pmutex.c -pthread -o pmutex
compile cross:
arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc pmutex.c -pthread -o pmutex.armhf
As matter of fact, using the -p flag inside the qemu emulation for debian
stretch or buster, the application returns the PTHREAD_PRIO_INHERIT as not
supported and locks upon recursive usage. Using this binary on a debian jessie
installation, it works.

We need the PTHREAD_PRIO_INHERIT since we use an RT patched kernel (4.1.40).

I would be very grateful if someone could give a hint how to get this fixed
such that we can switch to Debian Stretch.
Please tell me if I should provide additional information or if I made some
mistake by writing to this list.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards
Michael