qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 3/3] vhost-user: support programming VFIO group in

From: Tiwei Bie
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 3/3] vhost-user: support programming VFIO group in master
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 16:04:00 +0800

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 12:30:58PM +0300, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
[...]
> I generally wonder how are restarts of the backend handled
> with this approach: closing the VFIO device tends to reset
> the whole device.

Hi Michael,

I missed this comment previously.. This is a good point!
In this RFC, before sending the VFIO group fd to QEMU,
backend needs to close the VFIO device and unset the VFIO
container first. Otherwise, QEMU won't be able to set the
VFIO container for the VFIO group.

Another option is to share the container fd instead of
the group fd to QEMU. In this case, backend won't need
to close any fd. But there is one problem that, it's
hard to unmap the old mappings, especially when QEMU
crashes. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

Best regards,
Tiwei Bie