qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] QEMU 3.0.0 is now available

From: Michael Roth
Subject: [Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] QEMU 3.0.0 is now available
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 16:52:17 -0500

Hello,

On behalf of the QEMU Team, I'd like to announce the availability of
the QEMU 3.0.0 release. This release contains 2300+ commits from 169
authors.

A note from the maintainer:

  Why 3.0? Well, we felt that our version numbers were getting a bit
  unwieldy, and since this year is QEMU's 15th birthday it seemed like
  a good excuse to roll over the major digit. Going forward we plan to
  increment the major version once a year, for the first release of the
  year. Don't read too much into it: it doesn't imply a drastic
  compatibility break.

  Rumours of our triskaidekaphobia have been greatly exaggerated :-)

You can grab the tarball from our download page here:

  https://www.qemu.org/download/#source

The full list of changes are available at:

  https://wiki.qemu.org/ChangeLog/3.0

Highlights include:

 * Support for additional x86/AMD mitigations against Speculative
   Store Bypass (Spectre Variant 4, CVE-2018-3639)
 * Improved support for nested KVM guests running on Hyper-V
 * Block device support for active disk-mirroring, which avoids
   convergence issues which may arise when doing passive/background
   mirroring of busy devices.
 * Improved support for AHCI emulation, SCSI emulation, and persistent
   reservations / cluster management.
 * OpenGL ES support for SDL front-end, additional framebuffer
   device options for early boot display without using legacy VGA
   emulation
 * Live migration support for TPM TIS devices, capping bandwidth
   usage during post-copy migration, and recovering from a failed
   post-copy migration
 * Improved latency when using user-mode networking / SLIRP

 * ARM: support for SMMUv3 IOMMU when using 'virt' machine type
 * ARM: v8M extensions for VLLDM and VLSTM floating-point instructions,
   and improved support for AArch64 v8.2 FP16 extensions
 * ARM: support for Scalable Vector Extensions in linux-user mode
 * Microblaze: support for 64-bit address sizes and translation bug
   fixes
 * PowerPC: PMU support for mac99 machine type and improvements for
   Uninorth PCI host bridge emulation for Mac machine types
 * PowerPC: preliminary support for emulating POWER9 hash MMU mode when
   using powernv machine type.
 * RISC-V: improvement for privileged ISA emulation
 * s390: support for z14 ZR1 CPU model
 * s390: bpb/ppa15 Spectre mitigations enabled by default for z196 and
   later CPU models
 * s390: support for configuring consoles via -serial options

 * and lots more...

Thank you to everyone involved!