qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 21/35] block: fix QEMU crash with scsi-hd and dri

From: Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 21/35] block: fix QEMU crash with scsi-hd and drive_del
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2018 17:32:23 +0300

08.08.2018 12:33, Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy wrote:
From: Greg Kurz <address@hidden>

Removing a drive with drive_del while it is being used to run an I/O
intensive workload can cause QEMU to crash.

Test 83 sets up a client that intentionally disconnects at critical points in the NBD protocol exchange, to ensure that the server reacts sanely.

Rather, nbd-fault-injector.py is a server that disconnects at critical points, and the test is of client reaction.

  I suspect that somewhere in the NBD code, the server detects the disconnect and was somehow calling into blk_remove_bs() (although I could not quickly find the backtrace); and that prior to this patch, the 'Connection closed' message resulted from other NBD coroutines getting a shot at the (now-closed) connection, while after this patch, the additional blk_drain() somehow tweaks things in a way that prevents the other NBD coroutines from printing a message.  If so, then the change in 83 reference output is probably intentional, and we should update it.

It seems like this condition is racy, and that the race is more likely to be lost prior to this patch than after. It's a question of whether the client has time to start a request to the server prior to the server hanging up, as the message is generated during nbd_co_do_receive_one_chunk.  Here's a demonstration of the fact that things are racy:

$ git revert f45280cbf
$ make
$ cd tests/qemu-iotests
$ cat fault.txt
[inject-error "a"]
event=neg2
when=after
$ python nbd-fault-injector.py localhost:10809 ./fault.txt &
Listening on 127.0.0.1:10809
$ ../../qemu-io -f raw nbd://localhost:10809 -c 'r 0 512'
Closing connection on rule match inject-error "a"
Connection closed
read failed: Input/output error
$ python nbd-fault-injector.py localhost:10809 ./fault.txt &
Listening on 127.0.0.1:10809
$ ../../qemu-io -f raw nbd://localhost:10809
Closing connection on rule match inject-error "a"
qemu-io> r 0 512
read failed: Input/output error
qemu-io> q

So, depending on whether the read command is kicked off quickly (via -c) or slowly (via typing into qemu-io) determines whether the message appears.

What's more, in commit f140e300, we specifically called out in the commit message that maybe it was better to trace when we detect connection closed rather than log it to stdout, and in all cases in that commit, the additional 'Connection closed' messages do not add any information to the error message already displayed by the rest of the code.

I don't know how much the proposed NBD reconnect code will change things in 3.1.  Meanwhile, we've missed any chance for 3.0 to fix test 83.

But I'm having a hard time convincing myself that this is the case, particularly since I'm not even sure how to easily debug the assumptions I made above.

Since I'm very weak on the whole notion of what blk_drain() vs. blk_remove_bs() is really supposed to be doing, and could easily be persuaded that the change in output is a regression instead of a fix.

At this point, I don't think we have a regression, just merely a bad iotests reference output. The extra blk_drain() merely adds more time before the NBD code can send out its first request, and thus makes it more likely that the fault injector has closed the connection before the read request is issued rather than after (the message only appears when read beats the race), but the NBD code shouldn't be printing the error message in the first place, and 083 needs to be tweaked to remove the noisy lines added in f140e300 (not just the three lines that are reliably different due to this patch, but all other such lines due to strategic server drops at other points in the NBD protocol).

Ok, agree, I'll do it in reconnect series.

hmm, do what?

I was going to change these error messages to be traces, but now I'm not sure that it's a good idea. We have generic errp returned from the function, and why to drop it from logs? Fixing iotest is not a good reason, better is to adjust iotest itself a bit (just commit changed output) and forget about it. Is iotest racy itself, did you see different output running 83 iotest, not testing by hand?

--
Best regards,
Vladimir