qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-ppc] [PULL 0/2] ppc-for-3.0 queue 20180801

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-ppc] [PULL 0/2] ppc-for-3.0 queue 20180801
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2018 07:49:12 +0200

On 08/02/2018 04:07 PM, David Gibson wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 02, 2018 at 10:16:32AM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> On 2 August 2018 at 08:08, David Gibson <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> The macio fix, however, *is* a regression from 2.12.  Whether it's
>>> severe enough to warrant another -rc, I'm not sure.  It is a bad
>>> pointer access which is, well, bad.  It doesn't seem to bite
>>> obviously, needing valgrind to pick it up, but possibly that's just
>>> luck.
>>
>> I thought those introspection-bugs like the macio ones weren't
>> regressions ?
>
> Well, I ran Thomas's testcase on master and it generates several
> valgrind warnings, which don't appear on either 2.12 or master+the
> patch.

Maybe the macio bug is something new, but we had plenty of these
introspetion bugs in the other code (mainly the ARM code) which were
clearly there since a looong time already and nobody ever complained. So
it seems quite unusual that upper layer tools / the users are using the
introspection feature of QEMU. Thus I'd say this bug is not important
enough to block the release. We could fix it in the stable branch instead.

 Thomas