qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [qemu-s390x] [RFC 14/15] s390-bios: Support booting fro

From: Halil Pasic
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [qemu-s390x] [RFC 14/15] s390-bios: Support booting from real dasd device
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 13:47:20 +0200

On 07/18/2018 01:35 PM, Cornelia Huck wrote:
So to translate the new stuff we would actually have to stop the channel
program and resubmit the rest (either by suspend+resume or by break
chaining+ssch). The problem with that an execution of a channel program
that is composed of four ccws A,B,C,D and an execution of a channel
programs composed of ccws A,B immediately followed by and execution
of a channel program composed of the ccws C,D is not the same. I.e. it
is not generally safe to break a chain of ccws.
Exploiting suspending would have been my idea. Probably combined with a
new interface that fetches ccw-by-ccw.

But I don't think it makes sense to spend time thinking about this
right now.

IMHO exploiting suspending won't work, because the rsch starts a new
chain. If the suspend is a part of the original program the author
of it is responsible to make sure this ain't a problem. But if we
start setting the suspend flag ourselves, we may end up in trouble.

Regards,
Halil