qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [libvirt] [PULL 25/26] block: Remove deprecated -drive

From: Cornelia Huck
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [libvirt] [PULL 25/26] block: Remove deprecated -drive option serial
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2018 16:22:08 +0200

On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 07:59:15 +0200
Markus Armbruster <address@hidden> wrote:

> In addition to actively pulling libvirt developers into review of
> deprecation patches, we should pursue the idea to optionally let QEMU
> fail on use of deprecated features, then have libvirt run its test suite
> that way.

What about the following:

qemu_deprecated_option("old_option", "modern_option");

Which would then print (in normal operation)

"WARNING: 'old_option' is deprecated and will be removed; use 'modern_option'
instead"

to the monitor (or to stderr? to both?).

If you start QEMU with a -no-deprecated-options switch, it would print

"ERROR: 'old_option' is deprecated and will be removed; use 'modern_option'
instead"

and do an exit(1).

Would that be workable?