qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] monitor: enable OOB by default

From: Peter Xu
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] monitor: enable OOB by default
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 20:07:33 +0800

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 01:23:07PM +0200, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrangé <address@hidden> writes:

> >> Apropos COMMAND_DROPPED: we send an event rather than an error response
> >> because we may send it out-of-order.  Makes sense.
> >>
> >> However, broadcasting it to all monitors doesn't make sense.  We could
> >> use a way to send an event to just one monitor.

True.

(Sorry for the late responses; I was on Linuxcon China in the past few
days)

> > Worse than that - broadcasting to all monitors is categorically broken.
> > Different monitors make use the same "id" formatting scheme, so if you
> > broadcast COMMAND_DROPPED to a different monitor you might have clashing
> > "id" and thus incorrectly tell a client its command was dropped when in
> > fact it was processed. You'd have to be fairly unlucky in timing, but
> > it could happen.
>
> Right.  Must fix bug.

Even more true.

> I'm glad I went over this one more time, and in public!

I had a glance at current qmp-spec, it seems that we don't have any
restriction currently on "we must send events to all the monitors".
Does it mean that we should be free to have per-monitor events
starting from this event?

My current plan is that I can touch up scripts/qapi/events.py and
related stuff to allow QMPEventFuncEmit to take a monitor parameter,
then we pass in NULL when we want to send the event to all monitors.

Would that work?

Thanks,

--
Peter Xu