qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Drop support for 32bit hosts in qemu? (was: [PULL 1/6]

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Drop support for 32bit hosts in qemu? (was: [PULL 1/6] audio/hda: create millisecond timers that handle IO)
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 10:15:05 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 27 Jun 2018, Markus Armbruster wrote:
Thomas Huth <address@hidden> writes:
On 27.06.2018 08:51, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
[...]
Drop support for 32bit hosts in qemu?

I guess the only way to answer that question reliably is to send a patch
to mark 32-bit hosts as deprecated...

Anyway, you still have got to fix that problem with -m32 now somehow
since we certainly can not drop 32-bit immediately.

We certainly can if we want to.

Our formal deprecation policy codifies our compromise between the need
to evolve QEMU and the need of its users for stable external interfaces.

"Compiles on host X" is also a need, but it's a different one.
Evidence: "Supported build platforms" has its own appendix, separate
from "Deprecated features".  It's mum on 32-bit hosts.

I'm not saying we *should* drop 32-bit hosts immediately.  Only that the
feature deprecation policy does not apply.

Is QEMU still useful on 32-bit hosts?  Honest question!

I guess it depends on what 32-bit hosts you consider. If you look at only x86 vs. x86_64 then probably x86 is not that important any more but for some embedded systems/SoCs 32bit might still be common and QEMU useful for those (also as host not only emulated).

Another option might be to not support audio/hda on 32bit hosts. It's not nice either but a lot nicer than dropping support for 32bit hosts alltogether to fix a problem in device emulation. The nicest would of course be fixing the device emulation to work on all supported platform.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan