qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] bug in reopen arch

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] bug in reopen arch
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 16:25:00 +0200

Am 15.06.2018 um 20:42 hat Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy geschrieben:
> 14.06.2018 13:46, Kevin Wolf wrote:
> > Am 12.06.2018 um 20:57 hat Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy geschrieben:
> > > Hi all!
> > >
> > > I've faced the following problem:
> > >
> > >      1. create image with dirty bitmap, a.qcow2 (start qemu and run qmp
> > >      command block-dirty-bitmap-add)
> > >
> > >      2. run the following commands:
> > >
> > >          qemu-img create -f qcow2 -b a.qcow2 b.qcow2 10M
> > >          qemu-io -c 'write 0 512' b.qcow2
> > >          qemu-img commit b.qcow2
> > >
> > >      3. last command fails with the following output:
> > >
> > > Formatting 'b.qcow2', fmt=qcow2 size=68719476736 backing_file=a.qcow2
> > > cluster_size=65536 lazy_refcounts=off refcount_bits=16
> > > wrote 512/512 bytes at offset 0
> > > 512 bytes, 1 ops; 0.0953 sec (5.243 KiB/sec and 10.4867 ops/sec)
> > > qemu-img: #block397: Failed to make dirty bitmaps writable: Can't update
> > > bitmap directory: Operation not permitted
> > > qemu-img: Block job failed: Operation not permitted
> > >
> > > And problem is that children are reopened _after_ parent. But qcow2 reopen
> > > needs write access to its file, to write IN_USE flag to dirty-bitmaps
> > > extension.
> > I was aware of a different instance of this problem: Assume a qcow2
> > image with an unknown autoclear flag (so it will be cleared on r/w
> > open), which is first opened r/o and then reopened r/w. This will fail
> > because .bdrv_reopen_prepare doesn't have the permissions yet.
>
> Hm.. If I understand correctly qcow2_reopen_prepare doesn't deal with
> autoclear flags, as it doesn't call qcow2_do_open.

Hm, right, not sure what I really meant back then when I added it to my
to-do list... Maybe I confused reopen and invalidate_cache.

> > Simply changing the order won't fix this because in the r/w -> r/o, the
> > driver will legitimately flush its caches in .bdrv_reopen_prepare, and
> > for this it still needs to be able to write.
> >
> > We may need to have a way for nodes to access both the old and the new
> > state of their children. I'm not completely sure how to achieve this
> > best, though.
> >
> > When I thought only of permissions, the obvious and simple thing to do
> > was to just get combined permissions for the old and new state, i.e.
> > 'old_perm | new_perm' and 'old_shared & new_shared'. But I don't think
> > this is actually enough when the child node switches between a r/w and
> > a r/o file descriptor because even though QEMU's permission system would
> > allow the write, you still can't successfully write to a r/o file
> > descriptor.
> >
> > Kevin
>
> Maybe we want two .bdrv_reopen_prepare: .bdrv_reopen_prepare_before_children
> and .bdrv_reopen_prepare_after_children. But to write something in
> reopen_prepare, we need to move bdrv_set_perm from reopen_commit to
> .. Is it possible?

Getting the permission problems out of the way can be solved by changing
permissions twice, like I said above: First to the combined permissions
of old and new, and finally to only the new permissions.

The problem I see with .bdrv_reopen_prepare_after_children is that I
don't see how it actually buys you anything: Even if the children
already prepared the reopen, any access of the child node still refers
to the old file descriptor because the new one only becomes valid with
.bdrv_reopen_commit.

> Now, I've found the following workaround, what do you think about something
> like this as a temporary fix:

I honestly don't understand why this workaround makes any difference.
Shouldn't all .bdrv_reopen_prepare() callbacks still work on the old
version of the child node?

Even if I understood the reason, it looks a bit too hacky probably.
Maybe I'll change may opinion once I understand it.

Kevin