qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Is there a way to package QEMU binaries?

From: Fam Zheng
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Is there a way to package QEMU binaries?
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 14:41:19 +0800

On Tue, 06/12 14:24, Peter Xu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For example, I wanted to compile QEMU once and install it on multiple
> systems.  What would be the suggested way to do so?
>
> Is there something similar to "make bin-rpmpkg" for Linux?
>
> Thanks in advance,

No. The big question is the libraries. Even if you create the rpm, the libraries
that you have linked against are not necessarily available on the systems you
install. This means you either list all possible libraries as required in the
rpm spec, which is a waste, or the list is generated dynamically, which is not
trivial. For example, you can easily build QEMU against a custom glib, but it's
very tricky to generate an rpm from it that works on other systems.

For development, maybe it's easier to combine git and Ansible.

Fam