qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] storing machine data in qcow images?

From: Max Reitz
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] storing machine data in qcow images?
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2018 13:44:02 +0200

On 2018-06-06 13:37, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> * Max Reitz (address@hidden) wrote:
>> On 2018-06-06 13:19, Michal Suchánek wrote:

[...]

>>> Because then qemu can access the disk data from the image directly
>>> without any need for extraction, copying to different file, etc.
>>
>> This does not explain why it needs to be qcow2.  There is absolutely no
>> reason why you couldn't use qcow2 files in-place inside of another file.
>
> Because then we'd have to change the whole stack to take advantage of
> that.  Adding a feature into qcow2 means nothing else changes.

Because it's a hack, right.  Storing binary data in a qcow2 file,
completely ignoring it in qemu (and being completely unusable to any
potential other users of the qcow2 format[1]) and only interpreting it
somewhere up the stack is a hack.

That is not necessarily a negative point, hacks can work wonderfully
well, and they usually are simple, that is correct.  But the thing is
that I feel like people have grand visions of what to get out of this.
Imagine, a single file that can configure all and any VM!

But hacks usually only solve a single issue.  Once you try to extend a
hack, it breaks down and becomes insufficient.

If we want a grand vision where a single file stores the whole VM, why
not invest the work and make it right from the start?

Max

[1] Yes, I concede that there are probably no other users of qcow2.  But
please forgive me for assuming that qcow2 was in a sense designed to be
a rather general image format that not only qemu could use.